How to Collect Alimony When Your Ex Won’t Pay

February 7, 2019

Sometimes after a divorce, an ex-spouse can refuse to pay for the agreed to alimony or child support payments. Whether it’s simply out of spite, lost a job, or fell behind in his or her finances, it doesn’t mean that you are just to go on without the allotted money due to you. The court does not take failure to pay support lightly, offering options how to fully protect your rights after your divorce.

The first step you must take toward collecting your alimony payments is to contact your ex-spouse directly, if this is possible, and if not, have an attorney do so on your behalf.  The purpose is to try and resolve this issue without involving the court.

If that does not work, then you have to file a motion with the court to have alimony and/or child support paid through the probation department and even have his or her wages garnished.  It is recommended that you hire an attorney to properly draft the paperwork and represent you in court in this regard.

All in all, there are various ways to get the money that is rightfully yours, so if you cannot work it out with your ex trying to convince him or her to pay, your best course of action is through legal means- this not only remedies the situation the most efficiently and effectively, but shows your ex that you mean business so that payments will not be missed again in the future.

Scroll to Top